Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Interview Tomislav Tomic

Hello adult coloring fans! Today we have an interview with creator of adult coloring book “Zemlja snova”. A great coloring book created by illustrator that worked previously on Game of thrones and Outlander adult coloring books.  For those of you lucky enough to have a copy of his book,  you already know how good are his designs, and for his new fans… read on to find out more about Tomislav Tomic.


Zemlja snova

Q: First of all tell us little something about yourself.

tomislav tomic

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My name is Tomislav Tomic and I am an illustrator from Croatia. I usually illustrate children books using ink drawing as a technique in my illustrations. So far I made illustrations for several coloring books for different publishers. Zemlja Snova is first book coloring book I did for Croatian publisher.

Q: Where do you get the ideas? What inspired you?

When creating this book I was inspired by the fairy tales, I made my own worlds using all kinds of creatures that usually live in these stories. I tried to tell my own stories through pictures and make the people who will color the book create their own stories by adding their own touch to the illustrations.

Tomislav Tomic
Q: Describe your illustrations in three little words

I would say that my illustrations are: detailed, classic, decorative.

Tomislav Tomic

Q: How would you describe your workplace?

My workplace is always too small and messy but I like it that way.

Tomislav Tomic

Q: Do you work with a team? If so, how many people you work with?

I always work on my illustrations alone, not much of a team player.

Q: In your opinion, why does your illustrations appeal so much to adults?

I am not sure why my illustrations appeal to adults, maybe they remember some old books from their childhood when they look at my illustrations. Really not sure about this.

Tomislav Tomic

Q: Before making this adult coloring book did you have any other projects?

Before this book I made two coloring books as a part of Pictura edition, these are: A Walk Through Paris and New York Jazz.

Also made some illustrations for official Game of Thrones coloring book and some illustrations for Outlander coloring book.
It was fun making these and there I was able to see different approaches of other artists, it was very helpful later while making my latest book.

Q: What challenges (if any) did you face in making your coloring book for adults and can you give other artist any tips for solving similar problems?

When I was creating this book I tried to put myself in a position of someone who is going to color my illustration. I tried to make enough elements to color, and to make pictures that give lot of opportunities to make their own worlds. My advice is to make illustrations in a way that you enjoy the most, it is important to have fun while creating. That way you are honest to yourself and it turns out good in the end.

Tomislav Tomic

 

Q: Do you test your illustrations on a specific group of coloring community members before publishing?

I didn’t test the book on anybody. I didn’t know any person that color the coloring books for adults at the time. I met some people after the book was published, and they told it is ok.

Instagram Photo

Q: What’s your favorite thing from your latest coloring book?

I am really happy that I was allowed to make whatever I want while making this book. Some other projects are not that much fun to make. That is why I am happy with this book. No favorite piece I think.

Instagram Photo

Q: How do you feel about the success of your coloring books for adults?

I am not sure what to say about that, it is maybe too early to call it success.

Instagram Photo

Q: What’s the one message you’d want to send to all of the people who enjoy your books?

I would like to thank them for buying the book and to be brave with colors, there is no wrong way in coloring. It is important that you have fun while doing it.

Instagram Photo

Q: What drives the adult coloring trend according to your experience?

I am not sure what makes people color the coloring books, I am sure that there are many different reasons. But probably it helps them in a way, that is why they are doing it. As an illustrator I have a possibility to fill all my creative needs through my projects and on the other hand it is stressful and a therapy at the same time. So I am probably not the best person to talk about other people’s reasons about coloring.

Instagram Photo

Q: Do you have a favorite coloring book author? How did he/she earn your admirations?

I don’t really know many authors of coloring books, mostly these that I can find in local bookstore. Didn’t make a big research before I started making my own book. Now I see that there are really lot of artists in the world that made coloring books. Don’t have my favorite artist of coloring book but I liked one I noticed few months ago on the web. Unfortunately forgot her name and not able to find it anymore, her drawings were really beautiful.

Instagram Photo

Q: What would you like to see more in adult coloring book world?

I think that there is so many books on the market at the moment, more than I can explore to say what would be a good way to go from here. It would be better to ask the people who color these books, what they would like to see in the future.

Instagram Photo

Q: And last but not least, where can we find your artwork?

I don’t use Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, I don’t feel comfortable using these services, people think I am weird, but I got used to it. These services can be very useful but I am not the right person for it.

I only have a website, I don’t upload new images to it very often (every five years or so I think). I prefer spending my time drawing and with my family and friends in person.

Bellow is the link to my website:

http://tomislavtomic.com/


Here is a review of the adult coloring book Zemlja snova by Youtuber Coloring Queen


Clik here to buy Zemlja snova on Amazon.

If you are from another country here is the link: http://www.algoritam-mk.hr/zemlja-snova-bojanka-za-odrasle/PR/185373,11165 – you’ll have to register but if you have any problems you can contact Colorplaner on facebook and we can help you 🙂


If you want more information about the book and see more finished coloring pages please visit Facebook group:

Fans of Zemlja Snova (Land of Dreams) by Croatian artist Tomislav Tomić

And check out more pages on Instagram:

#tomislavtomic


 

 

 

The post Interview Tomislav Tomic appeared first on colorplaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment